May 8, 2013

Interview With Georg Listing - "I've had a very liberal education!" - Dream'Up #special/2007 [France]


"I've had a very liberal education!"
Son of a good family, Georg was raised by parents who never set restrictions. He cleverly applied this freedom to music, his greatest passion. Such was the point of departure of his fabulous adventure with the band Tokio Hotel...
How did music come into your life?
Georg: At my house, music reigned. My parents, both doctors, didn't play any instruments, but they had a real passion for rock. My father, in particular, had an impressive collection of albums. He knew the classics such as Eric Clapton, the Beatles, or the Rolling Stones by heart. Thanks to him, I had the chance to go to some legendary concerts. The musical universe has always fascinated me.
Is Tokio Hotel your first band?
Georg: Not exactly. In middle school, I wanted to start a band with two of my friends. In the end, the project fell through. Then I came across Gustav in Magdeburg's music conservatory. We played in the same orchestra, him on the drums and me playing bass. A little bit afterwards, we met Bill and Tom and eventually founded Devilish, our first band...
What was in your repertoire?
Georg: A mix of pop, rock, and metal, we started off a little in every sense [a little bit of everything?]...At the time, we were just four kids who were passionate but unskilled(laughs)! I have excellent memories of our beginnings regardless. Even if there was nobody listening to us, on our part, we believed in ourselves like iron , and we fooled around like maniacs.
How did you get past the obstacle of amateurism?
Georg: The meeting in 2004 with our producers and composers, Peter Hoffman, Pat Benzer, Dave Roth, and David Jost, was the deciding factor. They believed in our talent and gave us the means of recording a great album, Schrei. Still, we never would have been able to work with a team like that if we hadn't endlessly kept performing to get noticed. We were lucky, it's true, but we also knew how to bring it about.
What's the philosophy of the group?
Georg: The Tokio Hotel adventure rests on two fundamentals: passion for music and friendship. We take pleasure in playing together, both for ourselves and for our public. In this sense, our philosophy can be summed up by the famous Latin saying "Carpe Diem," which means "seize the day."
What are your future projects?
Georg: We're not in the habit of planning the life of the band in advance. Plus, things go so quickly for us that everything is totally unpredictable! For example, how could we have imagined sparking such a craze in France? In fact, the decisions concerning the band are made as we go along. We act according to events and the demands of our public.
Is it still too early to talk of a third album?
Georg: At the moment, we're concentrating our efforts on the European promotion of our second album, Zimmer 483, and the English version of our first work, Scream. Plus, as far as I'm concerned, I would like to have a bit of vacation before moving onto anything else (smiles)...But, who knows, maybe things will come about on their own one more time?
Exactly what kind of bonds link Bill, Tom, Gustav, and you?
Georg: On a strictly professional plane, there is a lot of esteem and respect among us. On a more personal plane, our collaboration is perfect. We're not a band from a reality TV show or pre-made. We share a real history of friendship that already goes back seven years. We were kids when we men - I was 14, Gustav was 13, and Bill and Tom were only 12! This mutual past creates strong and authentic ties [bonds] between us.
Tom loves to tease you interviews - do you sometimes take offense?
Georg: (smiles)...It's true, Tom has a knack for cracking jokes about me in front of journalists. I find it rather amusing. It's even become a game between us, and we both get something out of it. On his part, by joking about my little weaknesses, he diverts the attention and avoids talking about his own. And on my part, I like his [this?] way of relaxing the atmosphere.
Does he sometimes go overboard?
Georg: Tom is lucky - I'm very patient (laughs)! With respect to unpleasant things that could bother me, they go in one ear and out the other. I have my faults, but being touchy [sensitive] isn't one of them.
What's your best trait?
Georg: People seem to appreciatemy control and level head. Whatever the situation, I stay calm and keep control of my emotions. But I also know that my impassiveness [nonchalance] annoys certain people...
On the edge of the group, is there still time for yourself?
Georg: It's necessary for my stability [balance] to be able to share moments with my family and people close to me. Besides, in the group, we all need our free time, to simply take a break from work. Also, when we return to Magdeburg for a few days, each person goes off on his own. Me, I see my buddies and my brother, I go to the movies, and I forget everything else.
Who would you ask for advice?
Georg: I make all my decisions alone, without consulting anybody, not even my parents. My mother was the one who taught me to go through life according to my own instincts, even if I make mistakes...I've had a very liberal education where nothing was forbidden. My mom always wanted to let me experiment with things myself, both the good and the bad. She was convinced that I would learn from my mistakes myself.
How did you celebrate your 20th birthday?
Georg: The night of my birthday, March 31, we gave a concert in Poland. I had a very private little party a few days afterward...
What present would please you the most?
Georg: I dream of a very beautiful sports car, like a convertible Lamborghini (smiles)...
You have luxurious taste...
Georg: I admit that I appreciate beautiful things and comfort. Since I have the means to taste luxury, why deprive myself?
What are your vacation plans for this summer?
Georg: I expect to invite my family and my best friend to a paradisiacal [heavenly] place where I can practice scuba diving and golf to my heart's content.
Coup De Coeur (soft spot)
In his mind, Georg considers Fergie, the singer for the Black Eyed Peas, to be one of the sexiest celebrities. He declares himself bewitched by her irresistible sex appeal. The young man acknowledges that he just has a penchant for sexy girls in general. At parties, Georg is rarely unaffected by the appeal of swaying hips on the dance floor...
Quiz Express
Have you ever faked sick to skip class?
a. never
b. sometimes [X]
c. often
What do you like to nibble on?
Chips.
Have you ever cheated to win a game?
a. yes
[but not because I hate losing], because I'm ambitious!
b. no
Do you have the impression that you're smarter than your peers?
a. yes [X]
b. no
Your sexual activity is:
a. nonexistent
b. once a month
c. once a week
d. once a day
[all crossed out]
Would you wear glasses that could see through clothes?
a. yes [X]
b. no
Do you ever get jealous of the guy in the arms of that hot girl?
a. sometimes
b. never [X]
Have you ever fought with a stranger?
a. yes
b. no [X]
What genre of movies do you prefer?
a. action [X]
b. horror [X]
c. romance
What sin [fault] would you be incapable of giving up?
laziness, luxury
What sin [fault] bothers you most in others?
greed, jealousy
Translation by Keaide

 


No comments:

Post a Comment