May 8, 2013

Interview With Gustav Schäfer - "I've made the right choices..." - Dream'Up #special/2007 [France]


"I've made the right choices..."
Behind his sulky look, Gustav is actually hiding a captivating and appreciable personality. Beside his band’s friend, the young drummer savours today the delight of his success. A success built around his passion for music and friend ship.
Is the success of Tokio Hotel your best reward? 
Gustav: Yes, I’m really glad to see our efforts crowned this way. I believe that I’ve made the right choices. Drums came into my life when I was 5, and I’ve spend all my energy for it. When all the kids of the neighbourhood were playing outside, I was alone, in my room, playing drums for hours. I was made for that, I was sure of that.
The day I’ve noticed Bill & Tom rehearsing in a shed in Magdeburg seven years ago, I kind of had a revelation. I knew my fate would be to play with them. And I wasn’t wrong.
Could this success make your head spinning? 
Gustav: I’m playing music by passion not to bright under the spotlights. Audience's ovations and rewards make me feel really happy, but as soon as the curtain is down, my lucidity's back. Play on stage or on a television stage need great concentration. If I lost my seriousness and my discipline, I would not play correctly.
Are the other members so strict? 
Gustav: We all have very different characters, but we are sharing the same ambition and determination for work. As we've made our first steps on stage together, we know how many efforts we have to make to get success. None of us is planning to rest and each of us is doing something to stay high performance.
People say you're perfectionist...
Gustav: With me, everything has to be perfectly settled. I never leave place for improvisation, even for some small details. For example, I systematically put my drums and stool in a extremely precise place of the stage, always the same place. If someone tried to move them, even a centimeter, I could be really cross ! Except my assistant, no one is allowed to approach my drums.
Not even Bill? 
Gustav: Not at all! He has already suffered my anger, so he even doesn't dare sitting on my stool. When you are in a band, you have to follow some rules to respect the freedom of each one. If not, tensions can soon arrive...
Are there any crisis in your band? 
Gustav: It happens, but that is really rare. I'm pretty touchy, so I often get excited very quickly. I shout, I get off of my nerves et finally I disappear a moment. When I'm back, I'm calm again, and everything is forgotten.
What is the last example? 
Gustav: A few hours before a gig, I was checking the series of some particularly fast paces. The exercise was pretty difficult and I had to get some heating to get over it... Then Georg, Tom and Bill came into the room and exclaimed all together: "Hey, your stuff isn't very good ..." My touchiness came out and I immediately got excited and cross.
Have you already think about stopping everything? 
Gustav: Leave the band at any moment would me a terrible lack of professionalism and most of all, an unforgivable mistake. Our few bad moods or quarrels never get on our band's progress, that's a basic principle. That's why, when I vanish before a gig to get calm down, Tom, Bill and Georg know that I'll be back smiling and calmed down, half an hour before the gig.
Would you prefer to be more highlighted?
Gustav: I'm naturally a unobtrusive guy. Thats why, I like to be set back from the stage. Unlike Bill, I would be unable to be constantly under every one's eyes... That's not my thing, even if I appreciate my small glory moments. [laughs] At the end of every gig, when Bill & Co have left the stage, I come back to harangue the audience and make a giant ole. And this little ritual bring me lot of satisfaction...
Do you lack self confidence? 
Gustav: I have, that's true, kind of a reserve facing people, neither from fear, nor from embarrassment. Let's say I'm more an introvert. Besides that trait brings me mockeries from my family and friends who believe I'm a squeezed and sulky boy. [Smile]
Are you that grouchy and bad tempered? 
Gustav: I have to say yes, I'm pretty grouchy, even sulky. One squint word, an ironic remark, and I'm sulking. I know that is a character flaw, that's already a good beginning....Now I have the heavy task to correct that! [Laughs]
Were you a loner teenager?
Gustav: Overwhelmed by complex, I was a very unsociable kid, always at a distance from other kids....
Did you have reasons to feel bad? 
Gustav: Life hasn't always been tender with me, particularly when I was a teenager...[Laughs] First, I've always been pretty small, when I was in 9th Grade, I was only about 1.19 meter...[grimace] Then, I had horrible skin problems. As soon as school was over, I ran to shut myself up in my room praying for god not to meet someone I know. I was so ashamed! Inevitably all these complex pushed me to be lonely and didn't help me to get over my shyness.
Did you get over your old complex? 
Gustav: At a time I was thinking I would never grow up, I suddenly had thrust of grow up, and in a few months I was 1.70 meter. As for spots, they finally vanished after several treatments. Step by step, I won more self confidence. Today, I feel very good and don't hesitate to have fun about those old demons! [wink]
What importance do you give to people's look? 
Gustav: Younger, I have suffered a lot from other's look. Fortunately, with time, I learned to ignore sarcastic remarks and I felt more and more comfortable. Now, I don't care about what others think about me. I advise that to everyone by the way!
Is your look like important for you?
Gustav: Leaving most of the time with Bill & Tom, I have made some progress for that. Besides I had to! [Laughs] Before, I could wear anything, like that ridiculous T Shirt I brought from a trip to Val Thorens [Ski Station, France] with a cow wearing skis! When I came to rehearsing with that T shirt, I provoked general hilarity. Georg, Tom and Bill still laugh about it today. Since that, I am more careful to what I'm wearing, I'm even more flirtatious...
What qualities do chicks like in you? 
Gustav: I maybe look like grouchy at first look, but by scraping a bit, I'm actually very nice and funny. People also say I'm courteous, tidy and an excellent cook...
Quiz Express
Have you already pretend to be ill in order to miss school?
a. Never [X]
b. Sometimes
c. Often
What do you nibble with pleasure?
Chocolate.
Have you already cheated to win a game?
a. Yes, I hate to lose [
X
b. No
Do you think you're smarter than your mates?
a. Yes [X
b. No
Your sexual activity, is..
a. Nothingness
b. Once a month
c. Once a week
d. Once a day
[everything is crossed out ]
Would you like to have glasses able to watch through clothes?
a. Yes [
X]
b. No
Do you sometimes envy that boy with this pretty chick?
a. Sometimes
b. Never [X]
Have you ever fought with a stranger?
a. Yes [X
b. No
What kind of movie do you prefer?
a. Action [X]
b. Horror
c. Romantic
What sin would you be unable to stop?
Greediness, pride
What people's sin get on your nerves? 
Miserliness, jealousy
Translation by chupju

 

No comments:

Post a Comment